SNEC-PMI is proud to partner with Applied Frameworks to provide this 4-day VIRTUAL Certified Scrum Master Training workshop. Are you bored with being in the house? Add to your skillset with this virtual class – no worries about social distancing!
The pace of market and technology change challenges many businesses as well as established project management methods. Organizations and projects can not only survive, but thrive, amidst such potentially disruptive change. To do so, they need to embrace the shift to Agile values, principles and practices so they can better manage changing requirements, compress innovation cycles, experience improvements in project visibility, overall productivity and customer and employee engagement and satisfaction. This dynamic workshop prepares students, with skills, knowledge, behaviours and initial experience, to not only explain Scrum, but to be change agents who are able to both help their teams apply Scrum concepts and aid their organizations on the path to becoming resilient, learning organizations able to thrive in today’s emerging markets.
This is a moderated course that focuses on interaction of students with each other and the instructor — we only use lecture to cover the basic terms and concepts. Most class time is dedicated to thought-provoking exercises, engaging discussion, and team collaboration.
You will need a laptop or PC with audio/visual capabilities. Camera is important, dual monitors optional.
The Certified ScrumMaster® (CSM) course is an interactive class introducing the concepts of Agile business leadership using the Scrum framework. The Online Edition of this class includes:
- Guided pre-class preparation work to get you ready:
- Pre-class orientation session (introducing instructor, class overview, access check) – 1 hour
- Before the class, we will send “Warm-Ups” for you by email – quick activities that will introduce you to some of the major concepts of the workshop. Brain scientists call this “priming” – familiarizing your brain with new ideas before the “official” learning takes place.
- 4 virtual classroom sessions of 3 hours each
- Lots of collaboration time with your classmates
- A reasonable amount of homework and reflection between sessions
- 1 hour follow up Q&A session after the class concludes
- Preparation for the CSM exam, including a Scrum Certification practice test
What You Will Learn
Short, focused presentations will cover the Scrum Values, Roles, Artefacts and Events, concepts & practices, a shared Definition of “Done”, Backlog Refinement and team facilitation techniques. Students will reinforce what they learn through interactive simulations, and real-world case studies. You will learn how to:
- Apply the values of Scrum.
- Describe each piece of the Scrum framework, its’ purpose and interaction with the other pieces of the framework.
- Explain the rights, responsibilities and interactions of each role in Scrum: Development Team Member, Product Owner and ScrumMaster.
- Describe how Stakeholders interact with the Scrum Team.
- Identify the main obstacles to using Scrum and the challenges for sustaining Scrum in your organization.
- Practice applying ScrumMaster skills and thinking to solve day-to-day issues and challenges.
- Watch Scrum in action as the framework of Scrum will be used to deliver the course material.
- Draw a diagram describing the Scrum framework, highlighting all events, roles and artifacts.
The course topics will include:
- The Agile Manifesto
- Agile Principles
- Scrum Values
- Empirical Process Control
- Product Owner
- Development Team
- What about everyone else?
- Sprint Planning
- Daily Scrum
- Sprint Review
- Sprint Retrospective
- Product Backlog
- Sprint Backlog
- Potentially Releasable Increment
Launching Your Scrum Project
- Visioning & Chartering
- User stories
- Refining the Product Backlog
- Release Planning
Measuring & Communicating Progress
- Information Radiators
- Burn-up & Burn-down Charts
- Scrum Boards
By the end of the training, you will have experienced the key roles, responsibilities, interactions, tools, and processes of Scrum through simulations and hands-on exercises. You will be eligible and prepared to take the Scrum Alliance CSM Assessment Exam online and obtain your certification.
What You Receive
- a Zoom Link with login details will be sent several days ahead of class start
- A detailed student e-workbook full of custom exercises, activities and course summaries that capture the essential points you need to learn and comprehend to pass the Certified ScrumMaster exam.
- Documented Scrum case studies explaining how Scrum was used to create successful outcomes and improved teams.
- A reading list of great books to jump start your continuing education on topics such as how to do Scrum better, scaling Scrum, distributed Scrum, estimating and planning, Lean Thinking, facilitation, collaboration, communication and other essential topics.
- Thought-provoking articles related to the role of ScrumMaster, the challenges associated with doing Scrum, identifying waste in your business, the Agile Manifesto, how Scrum was used to rescue a troubled project and facilitating change.
- Opportunity for a 45-minute, personalized question and answer session with a Scrum expert at the conclusion of Session 1 to answer your specific questions about Scrum and how to get started in your company.
- Upon completion of this training, Two-year membership with the Scrum Alliance providing access to additional articles, case studies and templates authored by other Scrum practitioners like yourself along with discounts to Scrum events and conferences.
- An invitation to take the Certified ScrumMaster Exam. The cost of the exam is included in course registration.
- Access to our Certified Scrum Master Practice Exam.
- Opportunity for a 1-hour post-class question and feedback session
Thursday 6/4 - 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM (Pre-class orientation)
Monday, Wednesday, Friday 6/8, 6/10, 6/12 - 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Saturday 6/13 - 9:00 AM until Noon
Tuesday 6/16 - 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM (Post-class Follow-up / Q&A)
Who Should Attend?
Any person who is interested in learning more about Scrum or wants to make Scrum work better for their Team or organization is encouraged to attend. While the focus of the class is for people who want to learn how to leverage the Scrum framework to bring about change, any member of the Team or the organization who is interested in how to use Scrum would find this class useful.
- People in the ScrumMaster role or moving into the role
- Project Managers seeking to expand their knowledge of Scrum
- Leadership (Managers/Directors/VPs/CIOs/CTOs)
- Functional Managers and Team Leads at all levels of their career
- Architects and Business Analysts
- Software Developers and Testers
A basic understanding of Scrum is assumed. Previous experience with Scrum is helpful but not required. Pre-class reading will be suggested.
Scrum Alliance Continuing Education Requirements
This course also allows students to claim fourteen Scrum Education Units (SEUs) towards maintaining their Scrum Alliance certifications.
About the CSM Exam
You will become a Certified ScrumMaster® once you pass the CSM exam. After you receive your welcome email, you have two opportunities within 90 days to pass the exam at no cost. After up to two attempts within 90 days, there’s a $25 charge for each additional attempt.
You must answer 37 of the 50 multiple choice questions correctly to pass. You will have one hour on the test. You can skip, go back, and bookmark questions to review later. If you have any unanswered questions, you’ll see a warning message when you click “submit.” Once you submit your answers, your test results will immediately appear on your screen.
This course earns 14 PDUs AND 14 of the 21 contact hours needed for a PMI-ACP credential.
You will need to record and self-report your PDU's for this activity. Following the guidelines of the new CCR program and the PMI Talent Triangle®, the PDU's for this course can be applied as follows:
14.0 PDU - 8.0 - Technical (PMP, PgMP, ACP), 3.0 - Strategic & Business Management and 3.0 Leadership
Presented by Kert Peterson CST, ACT:
Since apprenticing with Ken Schwaber and being designated a Certified Scrum Trainer (CST®) in 2004, Kert Peterson has guided Agile transformations for a wide range of companies, including Fidelity Investments, Mission Health, Duke Energy, Bank of America, Dell, and Capital One Financial. Broad experience in adult learning and more than 20 years of engineering, management, and marketing experience in software development inform his high-impact workshops.
As a Program Manager at Amazon.com, Peterson guided design, development, and deployment of features used by 17 million users. As an Accredited Kanban Trainer (AKT) Kert plays a key role in the growth of the technology community in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Kert holds a B.S. in mathematics from the University of Texas at San Antonio and lives with his family in the Blue Ridge Mountain town of Brevard, NC.